Jenny Macklin and Lisa Chesters MP have called on Malcolm Turnbull to either drop his unfair Budget cuts or take them to an election.
Mr Turnbull’s cuts include:
• Cuts to Family Tax Benefit supplements, leaving 1.5 million families and three million children worse off.
• Cuts to Family Tax Benefit Part B for single parents.
• Cuts to paid parental leave, hurting about 80,000 new mums every year.
• Cuts to the Age Pension for more than 330,000 retirees.
• Cutting the pension for 190,000 elderly migrants who want to visit family overseas.
• Increasing the pension age to 70 – the oldest pension age in the world.
• Axing the Schoolkids Bonus, making it harder for parents to prepare their kids for school.
• Forcing young jobseekers to live off nothing for one month.
• Changing the age of eligibility for Newstart and Youth Allowance.
Because the Parliament has been re-called, the Government might try to hide these cuts in the Budget without introducing new legislation.
Ms Chesters said these cuts would have a devastating impact on central Victoria.
“Local emergency relief agencies such as Bendigo Family and Financial Services have reported more families requesting help over the last year than in previous years.
“With the costs of basics like rent, utility bills and transport continuing to skyrocket, any more cuts by this Liberal Government will mean even more local families need help this year.
“Roughly 30 per cent of households in Bendigo survive on just $600 per week. If Turnbull goes ahead with these changes, families in Bendigo will be among the hardest hit in the whole country.”
Jenny Macklin called on Malcolm Turnbull to declare his hand when it comes to these measures.
“Labor will campaign against Malcolm Turnbull’s cruel cuts and cost of living increases right up to election day.
“Mr Turnbull needs to stop the waffle and the tricks and just be honest with the Australian people about his Budget cuts. The clock is ticking. It’s time Mr Turnbull dropped his unfair cuts.”