Lisa Chesters MP has become a well-known face around central Victoria after being elected as the Federal Member for Bendigo in September 2013.
In her first term, Lisa has helped deliver:
• Federal funding to the upgrade of the Ravenswood intersection, Bendigo Aquatic Centre and Bendigo Airport project
• The Bendigo Thales’ Hawkei contract
• The roll out of the NDIS
Lisa was appointed Shadow Assistant Minister for Workplace Relations and Shadow Assistant Minister for Regional and Rural Australia following the 2016 election.
Lisa’s maiden speech to Parliament reflected on the successes of the Bendigo region. She also spoke of her experiences growing up as the daughter of migrant small business owners, and advocated for public health, education and workers’ rights.
Since being elected, Lisa has been particularly vocal on important local issues including:
• local jobs and the misuse of 457 visas
• central Victoria’s poor communication network and the need for the rollout of the NBN
• education reform in schools
• community inclusiveness and tolerance
Lisa loves central Victoria, often seen around town volunteering at the Bendigo Farmers’ Market, walking her dog Flash, and buying her trademark double shot espressos.
Lisa is a keen cello player in her spare time, using it to relax between her busy schedule at Parliament and in the Bendigo electorate. Lisa is also interested in the arts, gardening and reading.
Lisa Chesters' Maiden Speech To Parliament